Kern Legacy Network Plus offers a large selection of OB/GYN providers. Some of those physicians are affiliated with Kern Medical while others provide services from other facilities in the community.
Are you wondering how this works for you if you are expecting a baby?
Here is how it will work at Kern Medical:
You can continue to see your EPO Network OB/GYN physician throughout your pregnancy. However, if your doctor does not perform deliveries at Kern Medical or another EPO Network hospital in the outlying area, a Kern Medical doctor will deliver your baby at Kern Medical hospital.
At about 38 weeks gestation, ask your doctor to provide you with a packet of your medical records related to your pregnancy. You will present these records to Kern Medical at the time of your preregistration for labor and delivery. (Contact Kern Medical to schedule any planned inductions or C-sections.)
Report to Kern Medical’s 4th floor Labor and Delivery unit if you are experiencing any issues or for emergency treatment related to your pregnancy.
Lab and ultrasound throughout your pregnancy
Your doctor can perform these services in his or her office. If your doctor does not provide these services, you can utilize any of the
or Plus (PDF) Network lab and radiology providers.
What to look forward to at Kern Medical’s Small Wonders Birth Center
- Newly-expanded postpartum unit offering private rooms
- OB specialists and anesthesiologists providing in-house, 24-hour care
- Individualized delivery and pain control options based on mom’s request
- Immediate skin-to-skin contact between mother and baby after birth and throughout your stay
- Patient- and family-centered care promoting "rooming-in" that enhances mother-baby bonding, with your baby remaining by your side
- Level II neonatal intensive care unit with 28 licensed beds
For more information about deliveries at a contracted EPO Network hospital in the outlying areas of Kern County, contact the hospital.
Deliveries at Adventist Health Bakersfield
You have the option of delivering at Adventist Health Bakersfield using your Plus Benefit by an EPO or a Plus Network physician with active privileges. Remember all Inpatient Care requires authorization. If you need help coordinating your care or more information about receiving care for your pregnancy and deliver, contact Health Plan Services (661) 868-3280.